If I could be anything in this world, I would be an American Ninja Warrior!
I wish I was one of those super fit men and women, propelling themselves through an obstacle course filled with crazy physical requirements like climbing twenty foot walls or massive jungle climbs! It’s an odd request from a woman who could never accomplish a cartwheel, but still…
I wonder how these competitors hold on – how a human being can be so nimble and strong. Most of all, I wonder how some folks can make it through all the levels and some fall off into the water halfway through.
Think of the job search as a long version of a big ninja course. Job search require a lot of stamina, energy and practice. Just like ninja warriors, the best job seekers demonstrate a high level of focus and preparation.
Here are some tips to become a Job Search Ninja Warrior:
Ninja Warriors prepare in advance.
- Know what you bring to the table. What are the problems you can solve? Why should someone hire you? If you can’t describe it, how will anyone else understand?
- Have a plan that includes your target companies – not just the big players in town.Research to identify all the companies in your geography who fit your size and cultural requirements.
- Know the course and the players. Research each company to understand their issues and values. Look up people on LinkedIn and Google. Send invitations to connect on LinkedIn, paving the way to building a relationship from the beginning.
- Know what questions you want to ask each person you identify in your target companies. Focus on talking professional to professional as opposed to talking about your job search.
Ninja Warriors have a lot of stamina.
- Work out to build strength. Eat well so you are fit and strong.
- Clear your head of all doubts and extraneous distractions. Meditate or practice power poses to put yourself in the right frame of mind.
- Create a job search marketing plan with regular goals to force yourself to move beyond your self-imposed limitations. Think you can talk to 5 people every day? Set a goal to talk to 6 so you keep moving.
Ninja Warriors are confident enough to have personality.
- Be yourself. You are a wonderful, unique, talented person who can add value to the right organization. Don’t be afraid to let the “real” you show through!
- Be specific about what you want and how you add value. You might not appeal to everyone but you will appeal more to the right organization who values you.
Prepare for your job search marathon with the passion, preparation and stamina of a job search ninja and you are sure to make yourself proud! Since LinkedIn will be the cornerstone of your job search, check out The Interview Doctor’s new LinkedIn training program, The Inside Scoop on LinkedIn for Job Seekers. You will find many tips that will put ninja warrior-like training into your job search!