Recently I had a chance to share some thoughts about growing my business with public speaking on Pat Altvater’s Soar to Success Podcast entitled, Grow Your Business with Speaking.
I enjoy interacting with the audience and sharing my thoughts. It is easier for me to stand up in front of a large room of people than to talk one-to-one, which I find terrifying sometimes. I find larger groups liberating, which might be odd for a shy person, but it is true. I love the dance of engaging the audience so that each audience member gets what they need. It is exhilarating!
I do quite a bit of public speaking on job search and career development. It is a great way to get in front of people who might need my services. Public speaking is an important component to my business growth plan. Check out the podcast here.
Even if you are not an entrepreneur or small business owner, this podcast topic might still be interesting to you. As I was listening to the playback, I was again struck by the similarities between my advice to entrepreneurs and my advice to job seekers. It seems to come down to the same elements:
- Know what you want – the foundation of everything we do in life.
- Be strategic with a plan of how you will get what you want.
- Identify your target audience and place yourself in front of those folks. Don’t waste your time and energy on people who are not interested.
- Have the right tools. For job seekers, that is the right resume, an optimized LinkedIn profile, and a fleshed out job search marketing plan. For entrepreneurs and business people, that is a compelling pitch in the right social media platforms.
- Then get out there and build relationships with people who might be interested in your services.
As a job seeker or as an entrepreneur, if you have these steps in place then you can accomplish your goals!